Sunday, March 24, 2013

Week 2: Just like mother used to make 'em

Welcome to Nostalgia Sunday on Waffles Across America! Today, we're in Germany, thanks to my mum, who found this recipe in her collection. I'm gonna jump the gun and tell you right now, these are amazing. For me, anyway. To work!

Sidenote: I decided to make only half the batter - I do, after all, live alone and I'm trying very hard not to put on too much weight. It totally worked, and made six 5' x 4.5' waffles. Turns out I can eat 4 when I've not had lunch, so I have 2 left for breakfast tomorrow. Pretty much perfect.

Ingredients (full measures here)
70g butter
25g sugar
1/2 generous tbsp vanilla sugar
1 small pinch of salt
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
125g flour
50-100ml buttermilk (I ended up using about 200ml)

We talked about vanilla sugar last week on Twitter. A lot of people make it themselves, and I'm told it's amazing. I use Vanillin Zucker, because I can.


Smuggled goods.

Method
1. The recipe says, have the butter at room temperature, so it's soft (but see below!), and mix it together with the sugar and vanilla sugar.
2. Add the salt, then the eggs. Stir like a boss until it's a nice, smooth mixture.
3. Add the flour and baking powder and mix again, then add the buttermilk until you have a lovely, thick-but-runny cake mixture.
4. Leave that to rest for about an hour. If your batter is too thick after that, add more buttermilk until it's runny again, but not too thin!
5. Bake 'em, baby!

Notes
Room temperature, shroom temperature. I reckon you want to melt that butter and let it cool, because if your butter's too hard, this happens:

Room temperature, my backside.

I used about 100ml of buttermilk in the first instance. The mixture was drippy but not as thin as last week's, look:

See how it's running off the stirry bits (what the HECK are they called???)
so slowly, the drops are sitting on top of the mixture? That's how thick it was.


When I came back after an hour, I thought it was too thick and added a bit more buttermilk. And a bit more. Aaaand a bit more. I hate imprecise recipes as much as the next amateur cook, but this is a trial and error kind of thing, I guess. Like I said, I used about 200ml, and it worked. Just keep adding it bit by bit until you think it's right.

I cooked the first batch for 3.30 minutes but they ended up slightly undercooked. 4 minutes seemed to be just right. Note that these do not turn brown! They're meant to be pale. They're also as far from crunchy as you'd expect - again, this is on purpose. Where I come from, waffles are pretty much pancakes made in a waffle iron. I've examined the last sentence and cannot find a single thing wrong with it.

I haven't quite got the hang of exactly how much
batter to pour into the iron. These had holes. I didn't care.


These waffles are amazing with icing sugar. For science, I've also tried them with golden syrup, and with raspberry puree and confirm that those, too, were very tasty. Whatever you put on them, you must have at least one sweet topping. These were made for sweet things.


The buttermilk waffle in its natural environment.



Result
Simplicity of recipe: 10 out of 10. There really is nothing you can do wrong here. Nothing. (Except use cold butter.)
Sweet or savory: Sweet. 
Texture: Soft and chewy. They're so soft you can roll them up like a pancake. Awesome.
Taste: 25 out of 10. They taste like my childhood. And like pancakes, only better.

And there we are! Week 2: Huge success. *happy dance*

Next week, we're making pizza waffles. Because, PIZZA WAFFLES OMG.



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found during a Technorati search this morning - 24 waffle recipes!!

    http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/very-important-next-level-waffles-waffle-recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseph! Those look AMAZING. Thank you! Some of those need to happen. Soon. #soon

    ReplyDelete