Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Week 3: Waffle Pizza. Holy shit.

Welcome to the great Easter Weekend Waffle-Pizza Crossover! This week, we were all over America. Witness the second coming of the recipe: @zulahni in Seattle thought it, @aliceandstuff in Brooklyn found it, @KaylaCagan in L.A. forwarded it to me, and the original poster was @Bourbonnatrix in Ontario, Canada. Is this awesome, Y/Y? I have the best friends. THE BEST FRIENDS.

Thus! Let's make to the kitchen. Once again, I had to modify the ingredients slightly - for example, I had no cooked, chopped bacon. I know, outrage, etc. The waffles still work but I strongly recommend you do not repeat my mistake. Use the bacon. Use it well.

I tried with the half measures again, which was difficult because we're talking things like 1/6 cup of olive oil? How much is that? Nobody knows. So I used a splash (TM). Your mileage may vary.

Ingredients (for four 4x5 inch waffles. Full measures here)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 heaped tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp basil
1/2 tsp garlic seasoning
pinch of salt
generous pinch of black pepper

100ml milk
1 egg
generous splash of olive oil
1 tsp sundried tomato pesto

These measures need tweaking, because, while the pizza tasted awesome, the waffles themselves could've been better. I suggest you make the full measures as per the original recipe. And don't forget your bacon!

Method
Step 1: Mix all dry ingredients, set aside.
Step 2: Whisk wet ingredients, then pour into dry ones and mix.
Step 3: Add pesto (and bacon), mix again.
Step 4: Cook em, baby!
Step 5: Top the warm waffles with your favourite pizza toppings and shove 'em in the oven/ under a grill/ whatever to melt the cheese.
Step 5: PROFIT.

Pizzaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
And there you have it, friends. One Waffle Pizza, feat. pizza sauce, ham, salami and cheese. It was amazing.

Result
Simplicity of recipe: 9 out of 10, because I had to guess some of the measures.
Sweet or savory: Savory.
Texture: Chewy. Bit too tough - I reckon I needed more olive oil.
Taste: AWESOME. The waffles could've been less bland. Maybe a bit more salt and pepper next time? Also, bacon.

Next week, I will learn to take better photos. Also, there will be waffles.

2 comments:

  1. FYI, 1/6 cup would be 8 tsp or a bit less than 3 tbsp. So sayeth Google.

    This is a pretty awesome combination. I'd say that I had more than merely some awe. That, indeed, I am full of awe. But the linguistics make that awful, and that's just not right.

    ReplyDelete