Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Week 6: Waffles and Chicken, you say? YUM, I say!

Welcome to week 6 of Waffles Across America, wherein I overcome my fear of putting foods together that do not go together. Not where I'm from, anyway! The recipe comes courtesy of fellow seamonkey @joshacagan, everyone's favourite Elvis Costello lookalike and writer of the awesome Learning Town, which YOU WILL WATCH RIGHT NOW if you haven't done so already. Also if you have done so already. Because.

Disclaimer: I didn't have much time this weekend, so there was no way I was going to attempt southern fried chicken. So I bought some. "From scratch" is not in my vocabulary.

Son of Disclaimer: There is no buttermilk powder in my local supermarket, and as I don't yet know enough to be able to confidently substitute wet and dry ingredients without blowing up my house, I went looking for a random buttermilk recipe online. Found a likely candidate on www.chefkoch.de and used half measures, as below. They were awesome.

To the kitchen!

Ingredients
Southern Fried Chicken. Buy you some, or make it as per the original recipe (which sounds amazing, by the way, and I will totally attempt to make the chicken, one day #soon.)

For the waffles:
- 62.5g butter (at room temperature)
- 25g sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 125g flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 100ml buttermilk

Method
1. Cook chicken as per the instructions on the packaging (or as per the recipe above, which recommends an overnight marinade in spices and buttermilk. Are you drooling yet?)
2. Mix butter, sugar, vanilla sugar, salt, eggs and buttermilk. Make sure that butter isn't too cold or you'll be mixing until your arm falls off. I had the hardest time re-attaching mine.
3. Mix flour and baking powder and add to the wet goods. The mixture will have the consistency of  thick, runny honey.
4. Cook them waffles!

Result
A thousand words:
Chicken, meet waffle. Waffle, chicken.


The waffles are quite chewy and only taste nice when warm. But then, oh my, are they tasy. I liked the syrup with the chicken, and the syrup with the waffles, but I didn't quite like the chicken with the waffle. This may well be because a) store-bought sfc and b) different waffle recipe.

I think I have to eat this in its natural habitat. Looks like you need to make good on your promise and take me to that waffle place in L.A., Josh! If I ever make it back there...

Next time, we're making gingerbread waffles. GINGERBREAD WAFFLES, y'all. I have examined this phrase and find it good.




No comments:

Post a Comment